Apr 11, 2007

Self-Acceptance and Recalibration

You've got to acknowledge and accept where you are before you can get where you are going. Lately, I've been telling myself that I have to get a career, and get a job, and make money, and so on. But really why do I have to do any of those things? I originally planned to write and travel. Nothing more, nothing less. Somewhere along the way I began to think that I was making a mistake and panicked. I am not saying I will not be pursuing copywriting but I want to do so for the right reasons.

I find that with myself I plan something and then constantly readjust. I wonder whether I am making progress at all, since I could easily be switching between two poles and never really making any headway just changing my approach over and over again.

I want to get to a point where I fully accept myself. Some days I am there, others I am not. I accept that I have not yet pursued writing seriously. I am hoping that this is something akin to a species of bamboo, which grows a complicated root structure for years without growing above the surface and then suddenly, springs up - so quickly that it can be seen growing by the naked eye.

I look around myself and I wonder whether people understand that they are wrapped up in this world of ideas that attempts to sway them this way and that, or whether they even care.

No comments: