Apr 8, 2007

Museum of Natural History Planetarium

So.. I've already missed a day, hopefully I can double up today and feel as though I didn't really slack off. Yesterday, we went to the Museum of Natural History which I hadn't been to since I was a child. The planetarium has a presentation on collisions, thoughtfully narrated by Robert Redford. Apparently, there is a theory where the moon was created by an asteroid striking Earth and sending matter into space, which was mostly held onto by our gravitational pull. As the matter collided in orbit, it accumulated and eventually formed a moon. This whole collision is largely responsible for Earth's ability to sustain life, creating our seasons by tipping the Earth's axis and creating tides via the Moon's gravitational pull. The most phenomenal thing is that the moon was created in 30 days. This not only blows my mind, but it makes my development in some areas seem appalling. It is tremendously motivational because if a moon can be created in a mere month, then I ought to be able to accomplish quite a bit each month rather than procrastinating as I have.

We will see if the realization holds.

No comments: