Sep 23, 2009

Family

“The important thing to remember when meeting someone like Haley is that everyone has an agenda. Haley cannot be trusted simply because she laughs on cue, or listens to every word. She wants something; whether that is, simply to be admired or something darker only time will reveal. Don’t get comfortable,” were Shepherd’s last words before I boarded my flight to Los Angeles.

When I first met Haley I thought she was gorgeous. She was waiting at the airport with a small sign for me. She was tall, thin and insubstantial. Her blond hair hung loosely over her narrow shoulders. Even from afar her eyes were focused and bright blue. I wondered why Shepherd had warned me.

We hugged comfortably, “Oh it is so good to finally meet you, I’ve heard so much from Shepherd about you.”

“Shepherd and you talk? I thought he’d have told Rob.”

“They’re brother’s, I don’t think there is much to be said anymore. He calls but usually he and I talk longer. We’re really happy you’re here.”

She drove me to their large home in a nice neighborhood, did everything she could to make me comfortable and I lay down, listened to Iron & Wine for a bit and then fell asleep.



I woke up the next morning to the smell of eggs and coffee. Haley was making Rob breakfast. Rob is I guess my uncle too by association. He’d been working late last night so now was the first I saw him. He had whisps of silver in his stubble and bags under his eyes, but his smile was genuine and bright when he saw me and gave me a huge hug.

“I’m really glad you’re here.”

“Thanks for having me. It’s good to see you too.”

Haley quietly set the table and served Rob and I breakfast. She refused to join us, insisting it was her pleasure. “So will I be starting work today?”

“No, honey you have to recover from your jetlag. I’ll open up and Rob will go see about a couple of old books we might take on consignment. You’ll have the place to yourself.”

This was a dedicated, brilliant, intelligent woman – of course Shepherd was intimidated and wary. I suppose he was right to warn me, even with his warning I felt an inkling of the infatuation I had growing for her.

Shepherd sent me to make sure everything was being run properly at his father’s business. He is sort of my uncle, and with me having nothing to do this summer it seemed like a good idea for me to visit California and learn something about business. Los Angeles is a strange place for a rare bookstore, but they also carry original Hollywood posters and memorabilia, which I imagine is where most of their profits come from.

No comments: