Sep 13, 2009

Dream dreaming

Just woke up from a difficult dream. My ex and I were in a room in a house I grew up in long ago. We were trying to have sex, knowing that she is a nervous type I locked the door as a favor to her. As we would start to fuck, Latte - a female bengal cat, would open the door and walk in meowing over and over again. Despite me locking the door for my ex, she wouldn't notice at all. I would stop, push the cat out and lock the door again.

This happened several times until I felt like there was no spontaneity in the sex, we were simply trying to finish. Throughout this all she was completely unaware of what I was doing. Finally, I used a screw-driver to lock the door, sliding it through two hooks like a cross bar. This didn't work at all, Sally - my boss's friend from Trinidad was at the door and it had swung open. I got up, apologized without any shame and together she and I tried to lock the door again this time using two screw drivers. (mother figure?) This kept the door firmly stuck but there was an 8 inch gap and it wasn't long before Latte the cat was running into the room again and again.

At this point I woke up. Initially, I was a bit upset that I was dreaming about her but then I started to think about what the dream was saying. I was locking us up in a room, but it wasn't for her. She could care less. I equate this on one level to my attempts to protect my ex from herself but also on another level in that I trapped myself in a very narrow world, eliminating many possibilities to try to help one lost girl. I did it ultimately to protect myself from qualities within me. I projected certain aspects of myself - the positive female ones onto her, and the others kept sneaking into the room, in my dream in the shape of a cat and later Sally who is a very mother-like figure. The cat seemed to be trying to open the door, while the other was trying to help me keep myself locked inside.

I need to open the door and face what I have run from.

No comments: