May 4, 2007

Remaining calm in a sea of anxiety

All around me there are people freaking out creating hysterics over nothing. I work at a pretty slow pizzeria, and there's a cook who routinely complains about having to cut onions, saying insane shit like " this isn't an onion farm."

When one thing goes wrong or people need to push themselves they panic. I can't get this done, I'm so fucked. There is no way this is going to work. When really, if they just took that energy and put it into their project they would be WAY more successful. There really is nothing gained by thinking negatively, it just gets your head out of the game and leaves you focusing upon your weaknesses instead of your strengths. Failure has such a sting to it, but really all that is is your ego. If I believe that I am a good basketball player, and then miss a key shot I am left with a conflict between my identity and my surroundings.

This can be remedied by reframing the way you view yourself. I am a person who does my best and learn from my mistakes without dwelling on them. I haven't reached where I want to be but I know that and I am always taking steps to reach the goals I have.

No comments: