May 5, 2007

Are you sure those ideas in your head are yours?



This is Derren Brown and if he can single-handedly trick this normal looking man into believing what he really wanted was a BMX bike then what does that say about the power of suggestion? What ideas and beliefs do you have about what you want to accomplish? Where do they come from?

I'm not saying everything you want is one big mind-fuck. I'm saying you should think about it. I want to experience life in a state of awareness. I do my best to be aware of what I am doing and what I am thinking. I see people pursuing goals blindly without any motives. Achieving goals is important, but I sincerely doubt that advertising or any other form of brainwashing wants anyone to feel a sense of achievement for too long.

After learning about NLP I always thought the physical anchoring aspect seemed a bit obvious but with some showmanship and the proper situation it seems very easy to integrate. Derren Brown anchors the man's feelings of positivity to Derren tapping his shoulder which he does repeatedly, amping up his state over and over. I'm sure there are more qualified people to analyze this trick but seeing a master at work is inspiring.

What do want and why? What will it feel like to achieve such a goal? When will you feel a sense of accomplishment? How achievable is it?

No comments: