May 6, 2007

Contemplating my tattoo


After skydiving and realizing and truly understanding the importance of death in my everyday life I have been interested in finding a constant reminder of my mortality. Not because I forget and nearly get killed, but because I forget and sit around accomplishing very little of what I wish to accomplish.

At some point I stumbled upon Kali as a possibility. She is a Hindu goddess who's name means black time, or she who devours time. After asking around, someone mentioned that I ought to read Tantric Quest. The book is phenomenal and the beliefs within it are powerful and perfect for our time. When I get around to it as I have been meaning to I will write a complete review. In Shivaic Tantricism Kali is the goddess of everything, she is the mahadeva. She is symbolic of time, death, and the consuming aspects of reality (thanks wikipedia), but sometimes she is a symbol of triumph over death.

I plan on getting the sanskrit काली tattooed to my shoulder soon after my birthday. It may end up being something I regret but the subject of the tattoo will always be important to me.

2 comments:

emergingsea said...

Kali would be fuckin rad. But you have to get the bloddy, world-destryoing version with the body parts hanging around. check thi one out. http://michis.blogg.se/images/kalirygg_1144858187.jpg
btw I am Antidote from theplace.bz

also if you get anything in sanskrit don't get the Aum symbol. it's too cliche. imho.

Starkad said...

Hey, no worries about getting an aum that is as bad as tribals! I might get a tat like you mentioned later, but first I want to try the tame sanskrit and see how it goes, I am considering having it done in such a way that the letters appear to be destroying themselves, I'm not quite sure. That is an awesome tat though thanks !