Jan 12, 2009

First Laker game last Friday

Last Friday I went to my first Laker's game. They were playing Indiana, who oddly enough is one of the few teams that have defeated the Lakers this season. It was one of my gifts from my girlfriend for Christmas. The seats were "bad." We were nearly at the top of the Staples Center, but I could still easily see all of the action and really don't think it would be worth it to pay any more than we did. Seats 10 feet closer to the court were double the price of ours.

I had imagined that seeing these players play in person would be different from watching a game on tv. I also thought it would be harder to see what was going on. I was wrong on both accounts, visually, a game in person isn't very different from a televised version. I could clearly see all of the action and identify the players, at times though I would be watching a matchup and completely miss who shot and whether they scored or not.

It was a lot of fun and a great game. Without Lamar Odom or Luke Walton the Lakers have some defensive holes and were playing with a sense of complacency. Indiana did a great job of spreading the floor and finding the open man. It really was their 3 point shooting and ability to capitalize on the lackluster defense that allowed them to stay close in the game. Watching Kobe and Pau Gasol play ball in person is great. I caught a bunch of little things that I've missed whenever I catch a game on tv, Kobe asking for space or waving off a pick but also them congratulating each other after strong plays.

Derek Fisher really looked like he got away with a foul on the last shot of the game but to see a tied game in the fourth quarter with 24 seconds left and watch Kobe hit a game winner was awesome. Fisher had some key steals but the last couple minutes were all Kobe. The Pacers played him man to man for stretches, or tried to trap in the half court which gave up an easy basket in the last couple minutes as Kobe avoided the two defenders and easily scored. I definitely would like to see more games in person.

Over the weekend we went down to San Diego and an interesting question was brought up, toward the end of these NFL playoff games when the outcome is already decided how the hell do these guys keep playing passionately?

Its the end of their season and they are down too far to recover. It speaks highly of their professionalism. Many times when I am far down in anything I start to lose my drive and I think this show's a lack of discipline. The fact is, these players have never forfeited a game when they were down too much. Since elementary school sports they have never started a game and not finished it. This is something that I want to incorporate into my own life. It is very often that I start something and do not finish it. I am not blindly going to press on if my desire is truly gone, but I need to better evaluate those situations and discipline myself.

It is hot again in LA and my allergies are killing me so I am going to cut this one short. Adios.

No comments: